Speech Therapy...... Odd One Out
This is a simple activity designed to encourage use of language.
Your child is shown a set of 4 pictures and they have to decide which
they think is the odd one out and explain why. This activity is meant
to encourage discussion, observation and use of descriptive language.
Remember if your child gets stuck for ideas give plenty of helpful clues.
The sets of pictures you use will depend on your child's age and level
of ability with respect to speech. I have included in this section some
of the odd one out sets that I have prepared for Beth. She found this
activity quite hard at first but with encouragement has been able to use
some good descriptive language to explain her choices. Remember there
are lots of images in or clipart
section that you can use to create your own odd one out sets.
If you are unsure about the suitability of this activity for your
child please check with your speech therapist.
To play odd one out
- Show your child a set of 4 pictures
- Encourage them to choose the odd one out and try to explain why they
have chosen that picture.
- Remember there is not always a 'correct' answer for each set. Different
pictures can be chosen for different reasons e.g.
your child may choose cake because the others are all fruit or banana
because they don't like bananas and they do like to eat the rest. Both
answers are fine.
To make odd one out
- I have prepared several odd one out sets on the following pages for
you to print directly from your browser or save to your computer
- Page 1
- cat, dog, sheep, bird
- car, bus, pony, airplane
- tiger, tree, lion, tortoise
- Page 2
- shed, castle, shop, key
- bed, table, television, teddy
- cake, apple, orange, banana
- cow, sheep, pig, tiger
- Page 3
- kangaroo, keys, apple, kite
- fish, shark, crocodile, monkey
- bat, bird, crab, airplane
- You can go to our downloads
page to download two zipped pdf files with all the odd one out
sets I have prepared so far (The image quality is slightly better than
you will get printing from the browser).
- You can easily make your own odd one out sets using your word processing
or publishing package on your own PC. There are lots of images that
you can use in our clipart
- Checkout or picture card section (
resources - picture cards) for ideas on where to get images.
| Odd One Out Introduction |
Page 1 | Page 2 |
Page 3 |