General Education .... Split Word Cards
- This is an activity designed to encourage early reading skills and
skills associated with the sequencing of sounds within a word.
- It works as a matching pairs activity.
- The left card has a picture to illustrate the word and the beginning
sound of the word.
- The right picture card has the remainder of the word.
- The child is given a set of cards (four to start with) and has to
match up the correct start and end of the word.
- As your child learns you can then increase the number of cards given
- You can follow this activity up with longer words split into more
than two sections
How to make the cards
- Print the set of split word cards from the browser.
- You can download a zipped folder containing six Adobe Acrobat files
of the split word cards shown below. You will need winzip to unzip this
file, for more details visit our downloads page.
- Mount the set of eight cards onto card with glue.
- When dry cut out the eight cards.
- It is easy to make these split word cards in your own word processing
or publishing package using the clipart available on this site.
Sets of split word cards
- Set 1 c-at, d-og, f-ox, c-ow
- Set 2 h-at, c-ap, z-ip, h-ug
- Set 3 o-wl, p-ig, h-en, b-ee
- Set 4 b-ed, m-ug, j-ug, m-at
- Set 5 sh-ip, sh- eep, sh-op, sh-ed
- Set 6 sh-ark, sh-oe, sh-eet, sh-apes