Speech Teach Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:45:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the all new Speech Teach Forums!

Main Site    Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To Errrrrr is not devine  (Read 5031 times)
gedye

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

Dear People

My husband is currently seeking employment but I fear he maybe banging a small nail into his coffin as he 'errrrrrs' constantly during phone calls to employment agencies.
Upon recording one of these conversations, which lasted no more than five minuets, he errrrrred more than 30 times.
My question is this: 1. What is this condition called and 2. Is there anyway I can seek therapy for him?
I would greatly welcome any advise you could give.
Many Thanks, Gedye
Speech Teach Forum
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

lbamblett

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »

Hi Gedye,

This sounds like a form of dysfluency, not unlike a stammer.  I would say that a therapist may be able to help but it might be worth trying a few things first.  It might be worth him trying not to use the 'eeerr' filler within ever increasing phrases, sentences and conversation.

To start off with see if he can say such details as his name, age, address, family members etc, then move onto you asking him some simple questions and him planning in his head exactly what he is going to say before he says it, then he could try a short monologue before finally moving onto a 2 minute conversation.

If you want a further discussion, please do not hesitate to contact me.  You can find me in the 'Find a Therapist' section of the forum under 'Derby Speech Therapy'

Hope this is helpful

Lorraine Bamblett
Private Speech Therapist
gedye

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:29:17 PM »

Hoi Lorraine

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  I shall ask him to try out the sentences as you suggested this coming weekend.
I somehow think, however, that it is only during certain situations such as on the telephone to an 'elder or better' that he goes into an auto-mode of speech so I am unsure if doing this between the two of us would bring out his errrish self.  No matter I'm sure it will get him thinking about it more and perhaps building up the routine in his thought processes will help in the long run.

Should things not improve I shall not hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks again Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:31:57 PM by gedye » Logged
Speech Teach Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: