Speech Teach Forum
April 25, 2014, 09:04:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the all new Speech Teach Forums!

Main Site    Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to help child with problem  (Read 5225 times)
mariposa

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »

Hi
My daughter who is nearly 5 cannot pronounce certain sounds like F, th, Sh and s.  ~When she says the alphabet she is unable to pronounce the following
c - sounds like combination of gd
f - sounds like egg
g -sounds like d
h - sounds like ate
n - m
s -eat
t - combination of t and k
v - b
x - eat
z -combination of g and d
I think she needs some kind of speech therapy as I am unable get her to do the mouth tongue movements she needs to do.  We live in Spain and dont speak good enough spanish to get a Spanish speech therapist and think if we did it may confuse her more. Can anyone tell me if this is a common problem and is there a simple way to get her speaking properly or any advice on what I should do would be very welcome.
Speech Teach Forum
« on: October 20, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »

Jo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »

hi there

i would advice that you do attend a speech & langauge therapist, therapists are used to working with families who are bilingual or whose first langauge is different than their own.  As your daughter is having difficulty with the sounds f,s,sh i would also advise that she attends an audiologist as these sounds are high frequency sounds and a difficulty such as glue ear could be having an impact. 

If you want to help support speech using english materials i would recommend going to black sheep press - just type it into google and there are programmes that you could order and work with your daughter on under the guidance of your speech & language therapist. 

Good Luck!!
Speech Teach Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: