Speech Teach Forum
November 24, 2014, 12:51:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the all new Speech Teach Forums!

Main Site    Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Convinced I have a speech impediment  (Read 5711 times)
matt1982

View Profile Email
« on: October 10, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »

For many years now I've been convinced that I've a speech impediment. I seem to find word formation difficult: not impossible but that it requires extra effort. This catches me out when I have to speak in circumstances that aren't the usual: when I'm tensed up; I have to raise the volume of my speech or speak loudly; when I'm trying to speak quickly or respond suddenly; and when my mouth has become fatigued from trying to speak alot.

But even when there's no unusual factor, like any of the above involved, speech can be very cumbersome for me with flowing articulation often being a real trial. It feels all the time as if I just can't get my tongue/mouth phsically around words and sounds - there's so much effort involved as I can't keep this up for very long or do this at speed, etc.

One thing that I wonder about as a cause of all this is the position of my tongue in relation to my oral cavity. When I'm speaking my tongue almost feels too far forward and down in my mouth: well, it slips into this position unless I make an effort to pull it back and up - something that I did for years to try and counteract this problem.

I want to know if the way that my mouth and oral cavity have developed contribute/cause this problem. I'm 26 now and have only just realised that I have an immature swallow - instead of pulling my tongue up and back into the pocket in my hard palate I've been thrusting my tongue forward along the bottom of my mouth when swallowing. Possibly because of this habbit up until I was about 12/13 I always went around with my mouth open.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 04:56:40 PM by matt1982 » Logged
Speech Teach Forum
« on: October 10, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »

matt1982

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 04:49:54 PM »

I was posting in the library so didn't get to complete the post above...

I feel that because of a tongue thrust/reverse swallow for more than a 25 years over a period while I did my growing sotospeak, and in addition to a poor bite for some of that time, my jaw has grown forward and down. This isn't noticeable or anything until that is you look at my teeth - where pictures in childhood show me smiling with a normal overbite in my teeth I now have teeth that meet edge to edge.

The result for my tongue seems to be that it has taken up a position on the bottom of my mouth and too far forward towards my teeth - when at rest my tongue pushes against my front teeth and would slip through them if I parted them. An indication of this bad tongue position/posture are the scalloping indentations around the front of my tongue - I've been told these are due to the tongue taking up the shape of the back of my teeth due to pressing/resting against them constantly.

Does this sort of physical development of the mouth, resulting in a speech impediment, make sense to anyone here?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 04:58:31 PM by matt1982 » Logged
Speech Teach Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: