Speech Teach Forum
September 02, 2014, 12:32:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the all new Speech Teach Forums!

Main Site    Forum   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teenager  (Read 4890 times)
cuteminty08

View Profile Email
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »

My son has been on and off the speech therapist records since he was three. Each time we have received programmes for him to work with at home and at school.  The last time he saw a speech therapist was about three years ago or so.

He is now 14years old, and we were  called to see the speech therapist today.  In the meeting today he had to repeat sentences back to her and give meanings and answer to a series of questions.  I could see that some of listening and repeating skills he found difficult.  Then giving the meaning of words there was some errors.

I felt the speech therapist was not approachable kind of person, in fact she seem abrupt and moody. Not once did I see her smile!  Beside the point, at the end of the session she said that he could be discharge with no explanation of reason.  I left the meeting a somewhat bewildered and not happy with the outcome.

He has had a statement from the education authority for support, but since then its change to a note in lieu (at the request of his school scheme) upon our approval.  The educational pyschologist has suggested that he will need further support when he leaves mainstream schooling and moves on to further education.  The school is seeking help for him when he sits his GCSE.  The senco has stated that my son will not take the literature paper, but will try the language paper.

Should I seek a second opinion from another speech therapist, my concern that even though he is a teenager there is still a need for support at his age and level.  I feel we are being discharged due to a lack of funding.

I feel that my son will be one of those teenagers statistics who will leave school and find it hard to cope with further education and to find  work.

Speech Teach Forum
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »

Jo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »

Hi there

i read your post and thought i would fill in a few details for you.  As your son was 14 I imagine he was assessed on the clinical evaluation of language fundamentals.  there are various subtests in that assessment such as recalling of sentences and word definitions.  The test is a standardised assessment and would allow the therapist to determine if your son's language skills were appropriate for his age.  the fact that you were discharged indicates that they probably were within normal limits ( i.e. he obtained a score between 85 - 115, the average range). 

I wouldn't recommend going for a private consulation but rather  call the therapist up and ask her to explain the scoring to you - it may highlight some minor errors of difficulty that you could target or indeed it may say that linguisically all is fine.  Hope this is helpful. 
Speech Teach Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: